You may have heard of biomedical treatment if your child has a autism, ADHD, learning difficulties, ‘behavioural problems’ that do not respond to discipline or other kinds of vaccine injuries.
What is biomedical treatment?
Biomedical treatment is medical treatment that treats and corrects the fundamental physiological or biochemical problems that is causing the disease. It treats the physical root cause of the problem and returns the body to a state of health. Without correcting the basic physical imbalances, higher-level treatments like occupational therapy, speech therapy or behavioural therapies are usually ineffective. It is different from conventional medicine in that conventional medicine only suppresses the symptom but never corrects the underlying cause of the disease, creating a permanent dependence on medication. It does not return one to a state of health, but perpetuates disease by only masking the symptoms.
‘Psychological disorders’ like autism or ADHD are due to biochemical imbalances in the body or the brain. ‘Bad behaviour’ (that is not due to lack of discipline) like hyperactivity, is only an outward symptom of a larger problem inside. These physical and biochemical problems are not only treatable, they are curable as well (provided you start early enough). Your child is not “just misbehaving”.
What conditions does biomed treat?
Some conditions which biomedicine has been used to treat are:
• Autism, Asperger’s Syndrome and other autism spectrum disorders
• Allergies, asthma and eczema
• Learning disabilities - dyslexia, dyspraxia, and especially ADD/ADHD
• Speech disorders
• Hearing disorders such as Auditory Processing Disorder, hyperacusis and tinnitus
• Sensory Processing Disorder (over-sensitivity to heat, light, sounds, tastes and textures)
• Psychiatric and behavioural disorders linked to neurotransmitter imbalances - Obssessive-Compulsive Disorder, Oppositional Defiant Disorder, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, etc.
• Gastrointestinal problems—food intolerances, chronic constipation or diarrhoea, mushy stools, wearing of diapers beyond acceptable age
• Candida (yeast overgrowth)
• Leaky Gut Syndrome, chronic bowel inflammation
• Chronic infections
• Health problems due to heavy metal toxicity—inflammatory diseases (cardiovascular disease, diabetes), degenerative diseases (Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s, Multiple Sclerosis, Lou Gehrig’s disease), autoimmune diseases (lupus, etc.)
• PANDAS (Paediatric Autoimmune Neuropsychiatric Disorders Associated with Streptococci)
• Tics / Tourette Syndrome (involuntary muscle movements)
• Vaccine injury
How is biomed different from conventional medicine?
Conventional medicine suppresses the symptoms, biomed heals the root cause of the problem.
Exactly what does biomedical treatment involve?
First, learn about the biomedical causes of developmental disorders.
These physical and biochemicals problems form the basis for treatment methods in biomed (<- everything="everything" here="here" is="is" know="know" need="need" to="to" you="you">->
Is there any science behind this or is it just a fad?
Biomedical treatment, also known as Integrative Medicine or functional medicine, integrates practises from several fields of medicine. Like any discipline in medicine, its practises are based on scientific research (which you can read in the book linked below). Practitioners are required to formally update their knowledge at least every two years (which is better than can be said for regular doctors).
Who practises biomed?
Physicians, paediatricians, neurologists, nutritionists, naturopaths, homeopaths and many others. They go for specialised training at the Autism Research Institute are known as DAN (Defeat Autism Now!) doctors.
Can I go to any doctor and ask for biomedical treatment?
No. Not all doctors are trained in this discipline. And no, this is not the standard syllabus in any med school. So if they weren’t trained for this, they wouldn’t know.
But my doctor says all this is just hogwash.
Ask your doctor, “How many patients with autism have you cured?”
So where can I find a properly trained doctor?
DAN doctors - USA
DAN doctors - outside USA
New Generation Medical Doctors (NGMDs) - USA
See also: Questions to ask your DAN doctor
But my child does not have autism! Why should I go a DAN doctor?
Autism is just one of the many disorders that DAN doctors treat. Just because these doctors are listed on an autism website does not mean that autism is the only condition they treat. When doctors and scientists were looking for the root cause of autism, they found that these root causes (in different combinations and severities) result in other diseases and disorders, like the ones listed above.
Has anyone tried biomed? Does it work?
Tens of thousands of children have improved or completely recovered due to biomed. Look at the latest data.
If biomedical treatment is so great, why haven’t I heard of it?
Biomedical treatment came into being as a way to treat and cure autism after scientists identified some of the causes of autism. Autism, dyslexia and ADHD are very new diseases—they only exploded in the 90’s. As such, doctors were still grappling in the dark until the early 2000’s, and then as the number of children falling prey to autism kept increasing exponentially, so only did biomed “explode” in the mid-2000’s. New discoveries by the scientific community usually take 15 years to even reach the medical community, 30 years to become mainstream, 50 years to make it into med school curriculum. Look how long it took to go from “Cigarettes are good for you” to “Cigarettes cause cancer and heart disease” - 50 years. We are not there yet. So don’t be surprised if your doctor has not heard of it either.
Biomed also challenges many fondly-held beliefs in medicine and pharmacology, chief of which is vaccines cause autism. Many doctors find it difficult to give up their cherished beliefs in the face of new research that prove that what they learned in med school was wrong. There is also vehement opposition from the pharmaceutical industry because it threatens their bottom line. Where there is money, there is politics, and it all goes right up to the highest levels of government, including the people who make decisions for you on what you should put into your children’s bodies.
I’m not interested in politics, I just want to know how I can help my child. Where do I start?
Here’s a step-by-step plan:
Biomedical Treatment: Beginner
1. Learn about biomedical treatment. Generation Rescue is a good place to start.
2. Read books. Here’s a good one:
Healing the New Childhood Epidemics: Autism, ADHD, Asthma, and Allergies: The Groundbreaking Program for the 4-A Disorders
by Kenneth Bock, M.D., and Cameron Stauth
Dr. Kenneth Bock is a DAN doctor. The first half of the book are real stories of several children who have "incurable" diseases like autism, asthma, allergies or ADHD. You may find that your child's story is similar in many ways.
The second half of the book walks you through each step of biomedical treatment, explaining what the treatment is, what it's for, how well an option works or doesn't work, what to do and what not to do.
Beyond the first step of biomedical treatment (dietary restrictions), you would be wasting a lot of time if you were to attempt the rest without a doctor's guidance. So you should -
3. Find a DAN doctor. As listed above, you can find a DAN doctor here. As with all doctors, there are good doctors and not-so-good ones. Ask questions and talk to other parents. If you live far away from the nearest DAN doctor, look for one who does phone consultations. (Phone consultations are normally charged at the same rate as in-person consultations, but you save on travel expenses.)
4. While waiting for your appointment, get started.
5. Network with other parents. (The Malaysian support group is here.) Look for a Rescue Angel in your area. You don't have to walk alone!
6. Attend a DAN conference if you can, or watch it online if you can't.
Here's another excellent book which will provide you with an intro to biomed. I haven't read this myself, but it came highly recommended by biomed parents.
Healing Our Autistic Children: A Medical Plan for Restoring Your Child's Health
by Dr. Julie A. Buckley
Biomedical Treatment: Intermediate
1. Now that you know the basics, perhaps you want to delve deeper into the science, especially if your child has more serious problems, like an autism spectrum disorder or a vaccine injury. Autism.com is an excellent place to start.
2. Still don't get the big picture? Read the seminal book,
Changing the Course of Autism: A Scientific Approach for Parents and Physicians
by Bryan Jepson, M.D., with Jane Johnson
Dr. Bryan Jepson undertook the superhuman task of compiling ALL the existing scientific studies published on the cause and treatment of autism (up to the date of publication, 2005). Not only that, he has done something very few authors and doctors have - he has read the entire paper of every study published (not just the abstract) and EVALUATED each study for its worth. In order to know whether data coming out of a study is worthy or worthless, one must look at factors like how the study subjects/children were selected, whether there was any selection bias, whether the evaluation methods and cutoff points are comparable, and most importantly, whether the researcher has any undeclared financial links to pharmaceutical companies that would compromise their credibility and impartiality.
Just because a study is published in a journal does not automatically mean that it has passed all the above criteria (although technically it should). You'd be surprised if you knew how many published studies don't. Dr. Jepson has done humanity a great service by evaluating all the studies (so we don't have to) and taking all the bits and pieces and putting them together into one big picture.
These are all the known causes of autism to date, and biomedical treatment evolved as a way to treat this set of problems, which collectively forms the Autism Syndrome. This book is not easy to read, but if you want to get into the science, everything you need to know is here.
Dr. Jepson is a full-time DAN doctor with several other top experts at the Johnson Center for Child Health and Development.
3. Stay up-to-date on the latest research and new developments in the world of autism on Age of Autism.
Biomedical Treatment: Advanced
1. Now that you are an expert, participate in forums. Discuss treatment options with other parents. Share what you have learned.
2. You have now walked the path. Become a Rescue Angel and help others find their way.
3. If you work in the medical field, you might want to consider training to be a DAN doctor yourself.
Resources for Malaysian readers:
Biomed doctors in Malaysia
Biomed parent support group: KLBiomed.
Parent support group if you choose not to vaccinate: Our Healthy Unvaccinated Babies.
The ANDI Initiative
(Autism Network for Direct Instruction) has lots of books on autism, therapy books and modules, biomed books and all kinds of teaching
materials that you can borrow—for free!
• Recovered from Autism: Danny K.
• Recovered from Autism: Maya Viktoria
• Big Pharma Admits That Vaccines Cause Autism
• Larry King: The Autism-Vaccine Controversy (a debate between both sides)